Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What happened at her genetics appointment.......



Last Friday we made a visit to Everlly's genetics doctor, she hasn't see her since she was 1 day old in the hospital. She is very scientific woman and bases everything on the cold-hard facts and the last time we spoke about my child having Down Syndrome (Everlly was still in my belly.....at about 20 weeks) She, well, made Scott and I feel horrible, explaining what could all go wrong with our baby.

This time around, it was completely different. She came in the room and Everlly immediately started babbling. The doctor couldn't believe it. She just stared at Everlly in awe. She asked about what she could all do.....crawling- No; pulling herself up- Sometimes.

She told us about a gentleman with DS and said he was the best breakdancer ever and is a motivational speaker and tells what it's like having DS.

In her own words the doctor said, "I really feel that Everlly has a very bright future ahead of her & she will do very well in life."

WOW! Did those words really just come out of this doctor's mouth?

She stayed with us in the room for quite some time, her and the genetics counselor. They said it was so refreshing to see how well she is doing and how fantastic Everlly's verbal skills are.

To be honest I was dreading this appointment for so long, but to have a doctor that bases everything on "the facts" and to look at my daughter and tell Scott and I that her future is bright, was a beautiful gift.

Even though we have good and some bad days and sometimes I feel like I'm trying so hard to get her to crawl and she just doesn't want to....I know it will come in time and I'm trying so hard to be patient and Everlly's Birth to Three therapist re-assures me that we are doing a wonderful job.

I wouldn't change our lives with Everlly, not one, single moment of it. She was given to us for a reason and I love her just the way she is and couldn't imagine our lives any other way.

1 comment:

  1. so neat that you helped change her dated perceptions!!!

    ReplyDelete